Guidelines for the Wilma Potter Scholarship of the Ronald McDonald House Family Assistance Foundation
The Wilma Potter Scholarship Fund was established in 1999 in honor of Wilma Potter, Resident Manager of the Ronald McDonald House from 1985 – 1999. During her tenure as Resident Manager, Wilma provided tremendous support and encouragement to hundreds of families who resided at the House while their children were receiving treatment at a Dallas hospital. She recognized that a child’s illness could have a lasting and sometimes financially devastating impact on all members of the family. Not only did Wilma care for families while they were in the Ronald McDonald House, but she maintained contact with many long after they had left the House sharing in both their joys and in their challenges. The scholarship pays tribute to Wilma Potter and also to the many patients, parents, and siblings who have met the challenge of a serious illness with dignity and determination. In Wilma’s spirit, the general purpose of the scholarship is to assist patients and family members whose educational opportunities may have been denied or delayed because of a serious illness.
The 2017 Application Deadline is April 14, 2017.
Scholarship recipients will be notified in mid-May. Applications are available below. Please submit both the cover letter and application to Jill Cumnock at firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline.
- Patient, or parent/sibling of patient, who has resided at Ronald McDonald House of Dallas for a cumulative period of at least two weeks prior to application. Priority will be given to patients.
- Minimum of a 2.75 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Scholarship recipients are eligible to re-apply annually if GPA requirement is met and progress toward a degree or certificate is demonstrated.
- Members of the Board of Directors of RMHD or any affiliate, or any persons related to these individuals, are not eligible for scholarship awards.
- Scholarship payment will be sent directly to the specified university, college or trade school.